On April 17-19, 2019, the All-Russian conference «Space Debris: Fundamental and Practical Aspects of Threat» was held at the Space Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IKI RAS). The conference was organized by the Institute of Astronomy of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Space Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences with the support of the Ministry of Higher Education and Science of the Russian Federation. The conference was attended by over 150 people from 48 scientific and departmental organizations of Russia. During the three-day intensive work of the sections 67 oral reports were presented.
Admittedly, this was the first all-Russian conference with such a wide representation and full coverage of all aspects of the space debris problem. Five sections of the conference were devoted to the following areas of research:
• Modern and perspective methods of space debris observations in the near-Earth space;
• Cataloging of artificial objects: databases of satellites and space debris fragments, information systems;
• Modeling of the evolution of space debris objects: the problem of the accuracy of the prediction of the general situation in the near-Earth space;
• Means of reduction of space debris in the near-Earth space: current and perspective possibilities of counteraction to anthropogenic pollution of the near-Earth space, methods for preventing of collisions with fragments of space debris and spacecraft protecting;
• Problems of national coordination and international cooperation, legal issues.
The conference was recognized by the participants as successful. The IKI RAS management proposed to make the platform of its institute traditional for such conferences in the future.
More information about the conference can be found at www.agora.guru.ru/spacedebris2019.